Saturday, October 6, 2012

Poetry response dump 1


For me, “Jungle” was a “last line poem;” its significance and weight are hinged upon the last line, “A jungle has not heart. The core of it is to be more.” I found the preceding lines a bit confusing in their syntax and spacing. I wasn’t sure how it was supposed to be read or supposed to sound. Perhaps it was to convey the chaotic environment of a jungle, but I think the image could have been simpler or pertained more to the last line. The last line however really resonated with me. It had a very distinct image and feeling about it, likening a jungle to a sort of biological vacuum that consumes its surroundings in order to grow.

The explanation accompanying The Cuban Doctor really helped my understanding of it making it more insightful. I found the mixture and comparison of cultures interesting. The title is ambiguous and the explanation at the bottom does little to elucidate however I suspect the title is the key to understanding the poem. I think the “Cuban doctor” is referring to shaman who induces a spiritual journey resulting in the imagery and insight of the poem itself. The trip opens his mind to the analysis of these concepts and comparison on a poetic platform

Naked girl with a mirror
This poem was one of the most beautiful ones so far. The descriptions in the first stanza grabbed me immediately only to build upon my initial amazement. As it unraveled the insight of the poem really spoke to me. For me, it referenced a few concepts that I myself have been contemplating, such as the separation of or distinction between the body and soul. The variation of emotions within the poem gave it an almost musical quality, between joy and bewilderment, a retrospect on simplicity and a prospect of sadness. The author truly expresses a facet of the human condition

This poem felt pretty anticlimactic. The list structure was a good build up, but there was no release and perhaps it was intended through the wording of its conclusion, but it failed to leave me with a lasting impression. The description of the hand in all its parts was vivid and made me want to look at my own hands in a new way, but which way? The poem failed to strike me with an insight or even entice me towards one. Instead I would like to have seen this poem as pure image. A poem about all the different ways to look at hands rather than the list of what a hand is not leading up to nothing in particular.

I think it would’ve been interesting to read “Edward Hopper and The House by The Railroad” without a visual. I can’t imagine all the other people who happened to read this poem having such a specific and immediate context for it. It’s a bit dampening to the strength of the poem. The visual acts as competition and the poet’s words become arguable. It is unfortunate because the narrative of the poem is quite interesting. It depicts a colorful interpretation of not only the specific elements of the painting, but the painting itself and its relationship to the painter as well. Yet the poem seems lengthy next to the accompanying picture. If all this text is about this picture, why would I want to read all that? Why wouldn’t I just look at the picture and take from it what I will? But alas it is the words I am responding to not the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment